2012-09-24

New-EdgeSubscription: You can't use the FileName parameter when running this command.


After installing Exchange 2010 Edge role I have tried to create Edge Subscription file and got the following error:
[PS] C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>New-EdgeSubscription -FileName "c:\edgesusbscription.xml"
New-EdgeSubscription : You can't use the FileName parameter when running this command inside your Exchange organization
.
At line:1 char:21
+ New-EdgeSubscription <<<< -FileName "c:\edgesusbscription.xml"
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [New-EdgeSubscription], InvalidOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 780CD20B,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.NewEdgeSubscription
At first the cause was a mystery to me, but after searching the web I found some clues, reading some posts someone mentioned that they experienced same thing when server was renamed after Edge role installation.
This gave me an idea what could be a problem in my case. After I installed the server I automatically  joined it to the domain and installed Edge, then I came to my senses that it's no good idea to make Edge server part of a domain :) So I removed the server from the domain.
And that what caused my problems.
To fix this I had to rejoin the domain and only then I could uninstall Edge role (errors prevented uninstalling it while the environment was different from one I installed on).
Then I could leave the domain, install Edge role and successfully create Edge Subscription file using New-EdgeSubscription cmdlet.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous17.7.13

    Awesome cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7.8.13

    rbalboa@spicedham.sk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool ! I had exactly the same problem !
    realy ! GREAT ! Thinx!

    ReplyDelete